The Gargaon College is located at Gargaon, a place of historical and tourist importance and at a distance of 16 KM east of Sivasagar town. The SIMALUGURI RAILWAY STATION lies at a distance of 2.5 Km from the College premises. Gargaon College, established on 7th September 1959, is one of the premier institutions of higher education in Assam.
In the historical context, Gargaon was the capital center of the Ahom kingdom from 1539 A.D. to 1695 A.D. During this long period 15 successive kings were crowned on the throne starting from Siu-Klen-Miung alias Gargaya Raja to Siu-Pat Pha alias Gadadhar Singha. Kareng Ghar the seven storied Royal Palace of the Kings situated within Gargaon and such other ancient monuments like Storehouse,Golaghar & Ramparts still reminds the glory of the Ahom Kings and Assamese people of the past.
Affiliated to Dibrugarh University, the College came under the deficit-grants-in-aid system of Govt. of Assam in 1966.The College has three faculties in Arts, Science and Commerce and there are Sixteen Departments at present, Viz. Assamese, English, Economics, Political Science, History, Education, Sociology, Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Geology, Statistics and Commerce. The College imparts Education to more than two thousand students in every academic year with an efficient and dedicated teaching staff.
The College has been assessed and accredited by NAAC for the first time in the year 2004 and reaccreditated in the year 2010.Since its establishment, the College under the able and pioneering guidance of eminent educationists and teachers has been successfully fulfilling the emerging needs and challenges of the times. The College is committed to grow into a center of excellence and sustain its momentum to be the best by catering to all the needs of the students particularly those who belong to weaker sections of society.
|Total No. of Students(Only Degree)||1672|
|No. of student hostel||2|
|Office Male Staff||22|
|Office Female Staff||1|